Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Healthier Life


I debated whether or not I wanted to blog about this, but I thought why not, there has to be other individuals out there who are in the same boat as me. So here I go.

I have decided to begin to blog about getting healthy...well healthier. If you have read my blog before you know that I have run a 1/2 marathon, in fact I have run two. I completed my second run on January 20th of this year. I will say that training for such a race is hard and one might think that you have to be in peak physical shape in order to complete a 13.1 mile race. Let me assure you that is not the case, my legs were in their best running shape, the rest of my body was not. I kept telling myself that I did not want to add an abdominal workout in because I didn't want to be sore for a long run. The same went for changing my diet, I didn't want to change my diet because I was running well with what I was eating. In fact I would (still) use running as an excuse to eat sweets. So after training then running this last 1/2 marathon and not loosing a pound I have come to the conclusion that it is time for a change.

After my half marathon I was trying to decide what I wanted to do to be healthier. I saw an old friend post on Facebook his before and after picture with the lifestyle change he did and I was sold, until I saw the price. I want results, but not at the cost of sacrificing some of our monthly savings. Another friend is doing Paleo and it is working great for her and her family, but after looking into it I didn't feel it was good for me and my family. Truth be told I didn't think I could resist temptation and I didn't want the feelings of guilt that went along with "cheating". Yet another friend was doing weight watchers and is having great success, I too had success doing that program yet the weight came back. So what do I do? I think I can do it on my own, it is simple right? Just eat healthier.

I tried that, two weeks ago I went shopping and I did just that, I ate healthier and I lost a pound! Awesome right? Well then it was super bowl Sunday and we went to Sacramento to see great friends, by the time we got home Sunday night we were exhausted and it was too late to go to the store for the week. I had no dinners planned, I was out of "healthy" food for breakfast, I did have a a few premade salads for lunches and a few healthier snacks. I of course took all of this as excuses and out went healthy eating and in came Starbucks (my biggest weakness). AHHHHH so frustrating. Just eat healthy, and exercise.

I was sitting at a crossroad and I needed to decide either change things or except that I will not have my pre-kid body (or something that closely resembles it). Then I started thinking of a girlfriend who has been working hard to get her rockin pre-baby body back and WOW it is back! She looks FABULOUS. She has done a variety of different things to get her body healthy, including eating clean and P90X. She also has been raving about a gift she received for Christmas called Fitbit. I looked into it and I thought it is just a pedometer, but no it is so much more! It tracks your sleep pattern, you can set weight goals, calorie burning goals, keep track of the foods you are eating and when you are eating, how much water you have consumed, and daily exercise. Needless to say I was sold. I have come to realize that I need accountability and this is what is going to give me this accountability. I am excited to plug it in and start using it.

I did also buy one other item to help with my new healthier lifestyle and that was a Fitbit aria Wi-Fi smart scale. We have been in desperate need of a new scale. Ours has been weighing us a bit light. I am not going to lie, I like weighing myself daily and seeing low number, but when I go to the doctor and get weighed I am blown away at the number (I do blame it on my clothes and jewelry). So I splurged on the scale and I am excited to use it because it will automatically update my Fitbit account with current weight, % body fat and BMI. I may have been impressed with the technology so that is why I bought it. :) I did have a coupon though so that made it okay in my book!

These next few days I am just going to be playing with my new tools and formulating my getting healthy game plan. I am going to try to post weekly about how I am doing, any yummy new foods I have found and even about my failures. In the end I am hoping to be healthier. Follow me on this journey and maybe you too can get healthier with me. :)  Now to plug in my Fitbit and get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment