Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Progress


My progress.

So here we are two and two days later and I want to report my progress.  I wanted to be able to type that I have lost tons of weight and I am a whole size smaller, but that is not the case.  When I took a hard look at what was realistic for me, I realized that if I want to make a lifestyle change, then I can’t do anything drastic.  For me it is not realistic to completely cut out carbs, or to eat clean 100% of the time or to get eliminate dairy.  I just don’t have the desire or will power to do this.  Not only do I not have the will power, but I have the constant question of, “what happens if I did eat simple carbs, or if I did eat dairy, or if I has a week of not eating clean.” So my husband (an ex-wrestler) says there are a lot diets you can try, but what it comes down to is calories in vs. calories out.  Now don’t tell him I said this, but he is right.  Knowing this I had to decide how many calories a week I was willing to eliminate.  Using my fitbit I decided that I would cut out 500 calories a day, which is 3,500 calories a week, totaling 1lb a week.  I thought this would be easy, 500 calories a day no problem….WRONG!  I have never been so angry when a handful of almonds has put me over my caloric intake.  Really almonds…come on! At least I am exceeding my calories with something healthy right?

 If I am being honest I do go over my allotted 1,400 calories a day, however with an increase of exercise I get an increase in calories, so my allotment increases.  I have never been so excited to exercise, simply because I get to eat something else. My husband and I are doing the Insanity workouts, they are going well. Yet, the last time I was this physically exhausted was when I was pregnant.  Last night I did a fit test and I improved in all areas! Whoo-hoo. What I was most excited about was I went from doing 6 push-up jacks to 12 push-up jacks (completed in 1 minute) in just 2 weeks.  I am getting stronger!!! J  I am also running two mornings a week with my running partner Cindy.  Thank goodness for Cindy, because I like my sleep, but having her hold me accountable for running has been great. I will say that on the days I both run and do Insanity I am happy that I get to consume a few more calories.

My shortfalls.  I am not going to lie. I have made a few choices that have not been so good.  Now I have not gone over my allotted calories, but I may have used up my calories with some unhealthy choices.  For example on February 17th my husband and I went out to dinner and a movie. At the movie I wanted popcorn and chocolate.  I ate about 3 cups of popcorn and ½ a box of milk duds.  I stayed within my calories for the day, but I felt a bit guilty.  On Sunday the 24th I was craving chocolate, really craving chocolate. I needed it, I had to have it.  So I decided I would make brownies, the Costco Ghirardelli brownies, with the chunks. I told my husband I was going to make them and he said, maybe we can find a healthier version.  Feeling guilty I went online to look and I found a recipe.  It had wheat flour, apple sauce, coco-powder, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and the other usually ingredients.  I added some chocolate chips which ended up making them 103 calories a brownie (2x2). I am not going to lie, they tasted healthy and did not satisfy my need for chocolate. In fact they just made me mad that I ate 103 calories of not so yummy chocolate.  I learned my lesson; next time if I am going to splurge, I am going to splurge. 

So here I am 2 weeks and 2 days after starting to get healthier and I am down 2.5lbs and getting stronger and stronger.  I know 2.5lbs is not much, but my pants are looser and that makes me happy.  I’ll update again soon.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment